With the impending debut of the remake of “A Nightmare on Elm Street” it’s no surprise that New Line will be re-releasing the original on blu-ray and another box set. However, it appears that instead of an April 6th release as promised it’s been pushed back another week.
Though from what has been said the box set will simply be a bare bones release and the blu-ray of the first will have the same special features as the original DVD release. No word has been given if the box set is going to be released on blu-ray but it’s highly unlikely at the moment.
Special features that are included on the blu-ray are:
- Ready Freddy Focus Point: See alternate takes and learn filmmaking secrets behind the nightmare by jumping to video highlights while watching the movie
- Director Wes Craven, co-stars Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon, and cinematographer Jacques Haitkin
- Wes Craven, co-stars Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp and Ronee Blakley, producer Robert Shaye and co-producer Sara Risher
- Alternate endings
- The House That Freddy Built: The Legacy of New Line Horror
- Never Sleep Again: The Making of A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Night Terrors: The Origins of Wes Craven’s Nightmares
Prices are as follows:
Box Set: $49.98
The price for the blu-ray really isn’t a surprise, but $50 for the box set? That’s a little bit on the ridiculous side seeing as how the first DVD box set was $15 less when it was released in 1999 and it’s now out of print. So if you still own the original box set that actually comes with a special features disc, I would hold on to it for a while until New Line gets their act together. I know I’ll be hanging on to mine.